Happy Equal Pay Day

April 24th, 2007

Equal Pay DayHave you seen the interesting coverage Equal Pay Day (April 24) is getting this week? Basically all those wackjobs who say discrimination in the workplace is a figment of the collective feminist imagination can eat their boxers (or in some cases, thongs). A new study by the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation has found that women working full time one year out of college earn 80 percent of what their male counterparts earn. And ten years out of school, we’re earning 69 percent of what our male counterparts earn.

Meaning all those “that’s because some mommy-minded women choose the slow track at work” arguments don’t hold water. Ditto for the “that’s because some women choose lower-paying careers and/or industries” argument. Check out these stats about women and men one year after college graduation:

In education, women earn 95 percent as much as their male colleagues earn, while in math, women earn 76 percent as much as men earn, the study showed.

If you want to read the entire study, you can indulge in all the wonky stats your vindicated little heart desires here. Also, here’s a kickass writeup of these new findings on Broadsheet (if you’re not a Salon subscriber, you may have to watch an ad first).

Oh, and as a consolation prize, the London’s Evening Standard reported that between household duties and office life, women only work ten minutes more a day than men.

Entry Filed under: Glass ceiling,Money honey

• 1. ddv  |  April 24th, 2007 at 1:36 pm

and to think my wife (an accountant) got flowers along with all the other women in the office for “secrataries” day! hmpf…

ddv

• 2. ceezee  |  April 24th, 2007 at 1:52 pm

ddv~

That’s messed up.

• 3. Michelle Goodman  |  April 24th, 2007 at 1:55 pm

wow, that’s slick. (not.)

• 4. Gladys  |  April 24th, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Hi -

I think you need to check your math. It’s not 80% less than – it’s 80% of.

So, if a man made $10, under your math the woman would make $2. Under the study’s findings, if a man made $10, the woman made $8.

Big difference. But either way it should be 100% of, and nothing less.

• 5. Michelle Goodman  |  April 24th, 2007 at 3:42 pm

ok, last time i post pre-coffee. thanks for catching the typo. the beauty/challenge of blogging i suppose… no copyeditors.

• 6. Anne  |  April 25th, 2007 at 12:13 pm

My personal experience taught me that men might just take longer to do the same tasks. I can clean two bathrooms in less than two hours while the same chore takes my husband all day. In the office it was always females who were able to cover their daily projects to have enough time to run things like holiday party committess and organize office social events.

• 7. Cook County Blog  |  May 8th, 2011 at 11:03 am

Why should women make .23 less on the dollar than a man; given all things equal? We’re having a discussion–join us: http://ow.ly/4PMpt