The cat’s out of the bag

March 24th, 2008

My So-Called Freelance LifeI told myself I wasn’t going to post the cover of my new book on the site until I’d put the sucker to bed. The manuscript’s not even due till next week. But then Kristen Fischer kindly did this infomercial about me Q&A with me on Freelance Switch, which means the 22,000+ people who subscribe to the mother of all freelancing blogs now have the link to my new book (not that I mind). So I thought it was high time I let the cat out of the bag here too. In addition, I’d like to mention five things you probably didn’t know about my new book:

1. It’s called My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire, and it’s due out this fall from Seal Press.

2. I interviewed several of the working class heroes I mentioned yesterday for it.

3. Kate Basart, the fab designer who’s responsible for The Anti 9-to-5 Guide’s good looks, did my new cover too. (Clicking the image at the top of this post will make it bigger, in case you were wondering.) Note the recurring post-it motif! Also, note that those are not my feet, though I do own a pair of pink flip-flops.

4. Just a hunch, but I suspect publishers like to announce their books on Amazon as early as possible so their authors can’t weasel out of their deadlines.

5. The book is available for pre-order on Amazon. I’m just saying…

Entry Filed under: Anti 9-to-5 media blitz,Book,This freelance life

• 1. liz  |  March 24th, 2008 at 10:24 pm

I am going to buy your book this fall, for sure. I am a web designer here in Seattle who just left my full time firm job 6 weeks ago to go freelance, I am loving it! :)

xxoo
    -liz

• 2. Rebecca  |  March 25th, 2008 at 6:57 am

I just celebrated my one year anniversary as working as a full-time freelance web and graphic designer. I quit my other job right after I read your book! I can’t wait for the next one. :-)

• 3. Jenny  |  March 25th, 2008 at 7:36 am

Woo hoo! Congrats! (Well … congrats when you hand off the manuscript. Are we still supposed to be telling you to get back to work?)

• 4. Jaclyn  |  March 25th, 2008 at 9:01 am

Sounds like an excellent read, I can’t wait to pick up a copy.

I recently found your blog, it’s really great – so much good information.

• 5. Toni  |  March 25th, 2008 at 11:48 am

Hooray for you–and us, because you know we’ve been on the edge of our desk chairs wondering about the new book. With all this positive swoosh of anticipation, I’m sure you ‘script will be in AHEAD of time :)

• 6. Andrea  |  March 25th, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Hi Michelle,
    I met you in SF on your last book tour.
    Congrats on the new book, sounds great!!
    All the best,
    Andrea

• 7. Sandra Mendoza-Daly  |  March 25th, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Congrats. I will definitely be buying the book. I bought your first book, and am still inching my way out of my 8 to 4 job. It’s really hard giving up the security of being a teacher, but freelance life is calling. I figure if I have the energy to still run a side business (in preparation for the jump) then what do I have to worry about?

• 8. Michelle Goodman  |  March 25th, 2008 at 7:22 pm

hey everyone, thanks for the vote of confidence and all your kind comments.

congrats, liz and rebecca. very cool!
    jenny, yeah, i think i need a slap. thx for reminding me to get offline.
    toni, i WISH i was gonna be early. sigh.
    jaclyn, thx and welcome to the orange blog!
    andrea, thx for coming to my reading — so appreciate the support.
    sandra, good luck fleeing; i suspect we’ll be hearing all about it soon enough.

xoxo

• 9. Mir  |  March 26th, 2008 at 5:57 am

Congratulations, Michelle! I can’t wait to read it! (But, um, wait… I’m supposed to wear flip flops? Cuz I usually wear slippers in the winter and go barefoot in the summer….) ;)

• 10. Michelle Goodman  |  March 26th, 2008 at 6:02 am

mir, same here. and thanks!

• 11. Alexandra Levit  |  March 26th, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Oooh, it looks awesome! Congrats, I can’t wait to read it!

• 12. Hanna  |  March 27th, 2008 at 11:44 am

Didn’t preorder but did add it to my wish list at Amazon! :-) Now I’m here to check out your blog a bit too! Take care!

• 13. Michelle Goodman  |  March 27th, 2008 at 6:37 pm

thanks, Alexandra & Hanna. all you folks rock!

• 14. Trina  |  March 27th, 2008 at 8:21 pm

I first saw you in BUST! I’m so glad I found this site as I am a nascent freelance writer/blogger/independent radio producer. I am so excited to read the new book.

• 15. Lauren Bacon  |  March 28th, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Congratulations, Michelle! I love the cover design — it’s so purdy. :) So excited to see the new book!

• 16. Michelle Goodman  |  March 28th, 2008 at 8:07 pm

merci, ladies!

• 17. Angela M  |  March 31st, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Just discovered you thanks to Kristen Fischer! I am going to order you first book today. I leaped from the corp world 5 years ago and have never looked back. And, I couldn’t agree more about the ideal day – my dog would kill for 3 walks a day! Why can’t my clients understand that and be a little more patient? I blog about this crazy lifestyle too at LifeonTheLedge.wordpress.com but not as diligently as you. Great work!

• 18. Sarah  |  April 1st, 2008 at 11:03 am

Congrats! That is so fantastic! Yippee, I am so very, very happy for you. And way to bang ‘em out, by the way.

• 19. xina  |  April 1st, 2008 at 8:05 pm

congratulations! :)

• 20. Been Nice?  |  April 23rd, 2008 at 2:31 pm

Hello – I noticed that the bottom of the front cover of your new book is the same as the bottom of the front cover of “Love @ first site” by Jane Moore.

(http://www.amazon.com/Love-First-Site-Jane-Moore/dp/0767916913/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208985935&sr=8-1)

I was wondering, is there any relation between the two books?

• 21. Michelle Goodman  |  April 23rd, 2008 at 3:29 pm

i guess the connection is that our publishers both used the same stock photo art.

• 22. Felicia  |  May 2nd, 2008 at 10:01 am

I am SO pre-ordering your book. Brava!

• 23. Single Mom Seeking  |  May 28th, 2008 at 9:35 am

Congrats darling!!

I’d love to do a Q and A with you for sure at http://www.babycenter.com — if you’re game!

Lots of freelancing mamas who’d love to hear what you have to say.