Freelancing in a down economy: A BlogTalkRadio interview, Wednesday at 10 am PST

October 7th, 2008

Business networking site Biznik has just launched Biznik Live, a web radio show for indie professionals, and I have the honor of being their first guest. The topic? How the self-employed can ride out the recession without winding up on food stamps. The show airs this Wednesday at 10 am PST. Feel free to call in and ask me a question.

Entry Filed under: Anti 9-to-5 media blitz,Events

• 1. Kaila  |  October 8th, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Do you know if this was recorded and available for after the fact listening? Part of being anti 9-5 for me is not getting up before 10… so I missed the show.

• 2. Michelle Goodman  |  October 8th, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Kalia, if you go to the Biznik Live link, the interview will just start playing.

• 3. Toni  |  October 11th, 2008 at 8:03 pm

I loved the interview! Michelle, your comments on freelancing through the tech bubble burst and through 9/11 was heartening for those of us embarking on striking out on our own!

• 4. Michelle Goodman  |  October 12th, 2008 at 8:29 am

Toni, I’m glad. Yes, I had to quickly change gears and focus on different kinds of work/projects during both those times. During the late-90s tech implosion, I went from making $1/word (which is good for writers) for dotcoms and ONLY working for those dotcoms, to working for the tech sector. And post-9/11, I lost a lot of work in the tech sector when a couple big clients tightened their belts. So I reached out to other types of businesses for work, including going back to my publishing roots.

• 5. The Anti 9-to-5 Guide &ra&hellip  |  October 14th, 2008 at 4:12 am

[...] Last week I posted a link to the Biznik Live web radio interview I did on freelancing in a down economy. Since then, a number of people have asked me whether I think freelancers have more job security than nine-to-fivers. I do. Here’s why: [...]

• 6. The Anti 9-to-5 Guide &ra&hellip  |  November 9th, 2008 at 12:50 pm

[...] about freelancing during a recession last month. Then I wrote an ABC News column about it, did a podcast on it, and gave some advice on mediabistro’s GalleyCat blog about what freelancers can do to stay [...]