I’m now on Twitter…

January 30th, 2009

@anti9to5guide

Are you tweeting too? If so, how are you using it? Here’s what I’ve gotten out of it in the few short weeks I’ve been using it:

1. Another way to spread the word about my books.

2. Another way to find sources for articles I’m writing in a pinch.

3. Another way to share/discuss articles of interest with other freelancers and freelance sympathizers.

4. Another way to meet interesting, influential editors, bloggers, and media peeps.

5. A more immediate way to engage in some online dialogue than the ole blog. (Though I have every intention to keep this ole blog alive and well. I heart it — and the people who read it.)

6. Another way to amass more links to interesting articles and blog posts I hope to read when time permits.

7. Yet another way to waste time if I’m not careful.

I imagine many of you saw The Golden Pencil‘s excellent post on 8 Ways That Twitter Can Grow Your Freelance Business. I have yet to land an assignment through Twitter as Jenny of The Golden Pencil has, but I certainly wouldn’t mind doing so.

How about you? What has Twitter done for you lately?

Entry Filed under: This freelance life,Toolbox

• 1. Stephanie (sstiavetti on twitter)  |  January 30th, 2009 at 2:26 pm

“How about you? What has Twitter done for you lately?”

Eaten up hours of time when I should have been reading. ;)

Seriously, though, I find it a great business tool as long as you know when to say when. It can be a major timesuck.

Stephanie

• 2. Renee Rist  |  January 30th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I was against Twitter until my marketer-fiance talked me into joining. I have met so many great business contacts and even got a few really great clients from networking through Twitter. When used properly, it’s a really great tool for meeting people in your field or beyond.

• 3. Liz  |  January 30th, 2009 at 5:46 pm

i <3 twitter – connected with so many cool people from the design and freelance community through it. It has become my virtual co-working experience.

follow me @cmdshiftdesign

• 4. Tamal Anwar  |  January 31st, 2009 at 12:08 am

I have created a series on twitter, for beginners. It’s a constructive step by site 6 part series. You can read it here: http://blogkori.com/a-step-by-step-guide-for-new-twitter-users-part-1

I’m following you Michelle, @tamalanwar

• 5. tina  |  January 31st, 2009 at 11:15 am

I joined twitter and within days the hit rate on my blog doubled. I’ve also found a bunch of neat bloggers and even friends. I love all the cyber connection!

• 6. Audrey Julienne  |  February 1st, 2009 at 7:55 am

Hello Michelle – I find Twitter is both an excellent source of information for scoops (and I’m all for knowing what’s going on in my town before everybody else) and a great way to collect recommendations, opinions, stories… all of which are daily feed to my marketing creativity.

Now following you!
    @RDEMarketing

• 7. Jenni  |  February 4th, 2009 at 9:19 am

i love twitter! i can keep up with what my friends are up to and a lot of times people post useful links, so that’s nice.

• 8. Michelle  |  February 6th, 2009 at 10:37 am

I just joined very recently after much hesitation. I think I may be getting old – new technology isn’t so friendly any more!

I followed you, though, and look forward to reading more!