I’m now on Twitter…

January 30th, 2009

Are you tweeting too? If so, how are you using it? Here’s what I’ve gotten out of it in the few short weeks I’ve been using it:

1. Another way to spread the word about my books.

2. Another way to find sources for articles I’m writing in a pinch.

3. Another way to share/discuss articles of interest with other freelancers and freelance sympathizers.

4. Another way to meet interesting, influential editors, bloggers, and media peeps.

5. A more immediate way to engage in some online dialogue than the ole blog. (Though I have every intention to keep this ole blog alive and well. I heart it — and the people who read it.)

6. Another way to amass more links to interesting articles and blog posts I hope to read when time permits.

7. Yet another way to waste time if I’m not careful.

I imagine many of you saw The Golden Pencil‘s excellent post on 8 Ways That Twitter Can Grow Your Freelance Business. I have yet to land an assignment through Twitter as Jenny of The Golden Pencil has, but I certainly wouldn’t mind doing so.

How about you? What has Twitter done for you lately?

Entry Filed under: This freelance life,Toolbox

• 1. Stephanie (sstiavetti on twitter)  |  January 30th, 2009 at 2:26 pm

“How about you? What has Twitter done for you lately?”

Eaten up hours of time when I should have been reading. ;)

Seriously, though, I find it a great business tool as long as you know when to say when. It can be a major timesuck.

• 2. Renee Rist  |  January 30th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I was against Twitter until my marketer-fiance talked me into joining. I have met so many great business contacts and even got a few really great clients from networking through Twitter. When used properly, it’s a really great tool for meeting people in your field or beyond.

• 3. Liz  |  January 30th, 2009 at 5:46 pm

i <3 twitter – connected with so many cool people from the design and freelance community through it. It has become my virtual co-working experience.

follow me @cmdshiftdesign

• 4. Tamal Anwar  |  January 31st, 2009 at 12:08 am

I have created a series on twitter, for beginners. It’s a constructive step by site 6 part series. You can read it here: http://blogkori.com/a-step-by-step-guide-for-new-twitter-users-part-1

I’m following you Michelle, @tamalanwar

• 5. tina  |  January 31st, 2009 at 11:15 am

I joined twitter and within days the hit rate on my blog doubled. I’ve also found a bunch of neat bloggers and even friends. I love all the cyber connection!

• 6. Audrey Julienne  |  February 1st, 2009 at 7:55 am

Hello Michelle – I find Twitter is both an excellent source of information for scoops (and I’m all for knowing what’s going on in my town before everybody else) and a great way to collect recommendations, opinions, stories… all of which are daily feed to my marketing creativity.

Now following you!

• 7. Jenni  |  February 4th, 2009 at 9:19 am

i love twitter! i can keep up with what my friends are up to and a lot of times people post useful links, so that’s nice.

• 8. Michelle  |  February 6th, 2009 at 10:37 am

I just joined very recently after much hesitation. I think I may be getting old – new technology isn’t so friendly any more!

I followed you, though, and look forward to reading more!