New year, new goals

January 4th, 2010

Feels like I’ve been writing holiday-themed articles for weeks and weeks. (Among my favorites: Survival Jobs You Never Thought You’d Be Thankful For and All I Want for Christmas Is a Layoff.)

With 2009 mercifully in the rearview mirror, I’ve joined the fresh-start bandwagon and have been furiously outlining my freelancing goals for the next 12 months. Not resolutions (habits you want to form or change), but goals (stuff you want to accomplish).

Reason I make this distinction is because while writing about how to stick to your New Year’s resolutions yesterday, I learned that humans are hard-wired to fail miserably if they try to change too many habits at once. So I’ve got one resolution for my freelance career this year: leave part of each Sunday open for work on my personal writing projects (books, essays, stories), something I’m doing with three other freelance writer pals for extra accountability.

As for the other stuff I hope to accomplish this year, I’m calling those goals. In the interest of sharing, I’ll list some of the biggest ones here:

• Give this site a much-needed facelift
  • Finish proposal for book #3 by spring
  • Pursue more custom publishing work (trade publications and the like)
  • Sell an article or essay to the print edition of a certain beloved national paper

How about you? What do you hope to accomplish in this brave new year?

Entry Filed under: Balance,Creative process,Popular articles,This freelance life

• 1. Mridu Khullar  |  January 4th, 2010 at 10:27 am

Other than the regular income and productivity goals, I’m calling this “The Year of Not Being Screwed.” By the end of the year, I want to have stood up for myself and been treated fairly by my clients, and have let go of those who fail to do so.

• 2. Arthur Kay  |  January 4th, 2010 at 11:47 am

I recently posted a blog with my goals for 2010 – something I try to do every year. I think it’s a great way to keep yourself honest.

In short, I’m hoping to take my freelancing to another level this year. Although the overall goal is to simply double my freelance income over 2009, I have a good plan in place to achieve that goal.

The first step is to transform my use of social media so that it’s a more professional tool for me. I also have an offline (traditional?) marketing strategy in place.

Best of luck to you in 2010!

• 3. maybeimamazed02  |  January 4th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

1. GET A LITERARY AGENT.

I will succeed! (Hopefully. :)

• 4. Brandi U  |  January 4th, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Wow I second Mridu’s resolutions! Amen to that!! I’m looking forward to a new year that’s all about courage, self-confidence and new risks as a freelance writer.

• 5. Melissa  |  January 4th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

This year is the year I take the plunge. I gave notice at my day job today and am taking my part-time design business full-time. My main goal? To earn enough to survive the year. (there are lots of smaller ones in there and there IS a plan to get there too! – it’s not a blind leap!)

• 6. Penny Feigel, IAC-EZ  |  January 6th, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Congratulations and good luck on all your goals!

I think that the biggest goal for me in 2010 is to not lose track of the overall goal. I’ve read several articles on keeping the long term goal in mind, that is my resolution. It’s hard to keep long term visions in mind when busy with the day to day task.

• 7. Marian Schembari  |  January 9th, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I totally second your resolution on the website face lift. I think I like to pretend I’m better at web design than I actually am and the first thing I’m going to do with my next paycheck is pay someone to spruce it up. A good website goes a long way and I honestly don’t feel like I can be taken seriously until I can give it a much needed kick in the pants.

At least yours is pretty ;-)

• 8. May  |  February 2nd, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I’ve survived 1 month of completing my goal to draw every day and share it with the world!! You can see my progress at my blog posted above. I have other broader goals for the year, but this is the one that takes more precedent over others since I believe it will open new doors for me. Also, having a daily goal like this reminds me daily of my bigger goals I want to accomplish this year :)