More health care relief for freelancers

October 1st, 2010

The good news for the self-employed, temporarily employed, under-employed, and other workers who buy their own health insurance keeps on coming:

As I mentioned in a recent post, starting this week, freelancers and other “businesses of one” in Washington state will be able to qualify for group health insurance plans.

In addition, last week marked the six-month anniversary of the signing of the new federal health care bill, ushering in a handful of welcome changes to U.S. health plans for employees and self-employed alike. (Goodbye, lifetime coverage limits and the ability of insurance companies to drop customers who are sick or to deny coverage to kids with pre-existing conditions! Hello, free mammograms, free cholesterol screenings, and free immunizations for kids!)

And this week, President Obama signed the Small Business Jobs Act, which among other small business tax breaks, gives freelancers, small business owners, and other self-employed folks a deduction for the cost of their health insurance — and that of their family members — on their 2010 self-employment taxes.

[Read the rest of this post on NWjobs.com]

Entry Filed under: Book

• 1. Steven H  |  October 2nd, 2010 at 2:55 pm

There’s no such thing as a free lunch.

• 2. Jen G  |  October 26th, 2010 at 10:17 am

Those are definitely some good changes. We’ll have to watch and see how they work out, and what comes next.

• 3. Debra Stang  |  October 27th, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I’ve watched all these developments with great interest and hope–I have a couple of chronic medical conditions, and not being able to get insurance is a huge part of what’s keeping me from abandoning the 9-5 world for full time freelance writing. However, I have a sinking feeling that come November, we’re going to see a lot of President Obama’s good work undone. I’m not leaving my full time job until I’m sure the healthcare reforms are here to stay.

• 4. Shanna  |  November 9th, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Thank you for letting the readers know that “businesses of one” can qualify for group health care – I just wonder what is the catch. :)

• 5. Sara Kmiecik  |  January 7th, 2011 at 9:44 am

I just stumbled onto your blog and I love it! I have been freelancing for a few years now and love to read about other freelancing experiences.

• 6. DK  |  January 7th, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I had no idea how useful the changes were until very recently. A friend who was tied to a 9 to 5 job she didn’t like but needed the health benefits for finally quit to launch a career in the dramatic arts. Pretty cool!

• 7. Gar Lipow  |  March 4th, 2012 at 8:37 pm

HI. I run a small freelance business, well actually several small free-lance business. My problem. My individual plan terminates July 1. That company KPS is no longer offering individual plans. Right now (and I’ll have to talk to the commisioners office tomorrow) I don’t know if I qualify to for any of the exemptions to the standard questionaire. If I don’t, there is no way I will be let into the standard individual insurance pool. So no group plans, no individual plans. High risk pool? Can’t handle the premiums expecially not in return for a high deductible and huge co-pays and lousy coverage. But even if the coverage was great the premium would leave me homeless. Medicaid? Income too high. Basic Health – waiting list. Right now it looks like July 1 I will be an uninsured diabetic cancer survivor. I wont’ be uninsured by my choice, but by the choice of the insurance industry in spite of having continuously had coverage from the time I was 12 until today at 52.